Frequently Asked Questions

What standardized tests do I need to take?
Freshmen must take the Paper-based TOEFL Test on August of the senior year.

What are the visa requirements for international students?
UC Santa Cruz admissions notifications occur in mid-March. If you are admitted to UC Santa Cruz and wish to enroll, you will need to apply for a student visa to attend college in the U.S., a process that includes submitting financial statements showing that you have funding to study in the U.S. More information on the visa application process can be found in the International Education Office web site.

How large are classes?
Class level and major affect the size of classes a student will encounter. Students are likely to experience an increasing proportion of small classes as they progress from freshman to senior level.
Currently, only 15% of our courses have more than 100 students enrolled, and 65% of our courses have fewer than 30 students enrolled. Our largest lecture hall, Classroom holds students.

What support do freshmen have? Do they have advisers?
All IAAU students have a number of advisers to help them navigate through the university, choose a major that is right for them, and graduate on time. Advisers include college advisers, college preceptors, and program, major, and department advisers.

Are students required to live on campus?
No, IAAU students are not required to live on campus, although many students choose to do so because of the community and convenience of on-campus living.

Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS (English language proficiency test)?
All international applicants are required to take the TOEFL Paper-based Test.

Do international students use a special application form?

When should I arrive at IAAU?

If a student does not have a TOEFL score, will their application still be considered?
Yes, UC Irvine will still consider the application for admission.

What documents are required, as part of my application?
International transfer students should submit transcripts from all previously attended institutions. If you have earned less than the equivalent of 24 college-level credits (if you have attended college or university for less than one year) you may be asked to also submit your secondary school record. If your first language is not English, you must also submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. This requirement can be waived if you are attended a college or university in the US, have taken English Composition 1 and 2 and earned a C or better as a grade. Please remember that all transcripts must be in English.

What is the minimum TOEFL score for admission?
Our Admission Committee looks for students who have achieved an internet-based-TOEFL (IBT) score of 80 or higher, paper-based TOEFL score of 500 or higher.

When will you notify me if I am admitted?
Admission decisions for students who apply for Early Action I will be mailed on or around December 15. Early Action II decisions are mailed on or around January 15.In some cases, decision letters may take several weeks to reach you by mail. Decisions are also available through your student portal shortly after your letter is mailed.

When do classes start? What are the dates of my study period?
View the academic calendars and any important study period dates.

Where do I find the course timetable?
The course (class) timetable will be made available a few weeks before enrolment opens for each study period and it should be used to create your own schedule. View the class timetable.
My courses have several components, such as lectures, tutorials or workshops. Do I have to attend all of these?
Yes, you will need to attend all course components for each course in which you enroll. Depending on the courses you take, you will normally have to attend a combination of a lecture and one or more other course components that may include one, or some of the following: tutorials, lab classes, workshops. You can find all course components on the class timetable.
There is more than one lecture, tutorial or workshop on the timetable for my course. How many of each should I choose?
You will only need to enroll into one of each component for an individual course. Depending on the courses you take, you will normally have to attend a combination of course components that may include lectures, tutorials, lab classes and/or workshops. You can find all course components on the class timetable, clearly identified by a unique class number.
Eg. Where you see a course on the timetable, if it has multiple lectures listed and multiple tutorials, you choose one lecture and one tutorial for that course.

How do I get from the airport to my accommodation?
IAAU International Student Services staff can also make airport transfer bookings for you. An A$85 charge applies. Please note, it is cheaper to book through an airport transfer provider directly.

Do I need to buy textbooks and study materials? How much does it cost?
You don’t need to buy textbooks or course readers for each course you are enrolled in.

How can I pay my fees?
At IAAU you can pay your fees in a variety of ways, including credit card and direct bank transfer. Please note that we can accept cash payments on campus.

When are my tuition fees due?
In order to secure your study place at IAAU, you will need to provide us with payment for your first study period tuition fee. The remainder of your tuition fees will be payable by the due date of the relevant study period.
A late payment fee of 30% tuition fee will apply for payments that are made after the due date.
Fees due dates for each study period.


Contact us

Ala-Too International University

Connect with us

We're on Social Networks.
Follow us & get in touch.